Have you ever wondered what gives fish their supple, healthy skin? What helps sea creatures withstand the immense pressure of the ocean depths? The answer is collagen—and not just any collagen, but marine collagen.
Marine collagen is a type of protein that is found in abundance in fish skin, scales, and fins. It is this collagen that helps fish maintain their . . . well, fishy shape. Marine collagen is different from other types of collagen in both its structure and its benefits. In this blog post, we’ll explore everything you need to know about marine collagen, from its origins to its many uses. So dive on in!
What is Marine Collagen?
Marine collagen is a type of protein that is found exclusively in fish skin, scales, and fins. Unlike other types of collagen, which are derived from land animals, marine collagen is not found in mammalian tissues. It is this structural difference that makes marine collagen unique. Marine collagen has a lower molecular weight than other types of collagen, which makes it more easily absorbed by the human body. In addition, marine collagen contains higher levels of glycine (an amino acid) and proline (another amino acid), which are essential for the formation of new tissue and the repair of damaged tissue. Marine collagen also contains small amounts of minerals such as zinc and copper, which are essential for healthy skin and hair.
So now that we know what marine collagen is and where it comes from, let’s take a closer look at some of its many benefits.
The Many Benefits of Marine Collagen
- Helps Maintain Healthy Skin: As we age, our skin loses elasticity and begins to thin. This can result in wrinkles, sagging skin, and dryness. Marine collagen can help to reverse these signs of aging by boosting hydration and improving elasticity. In one study, women who took a marinecollagen supplement for eight weeks experienced a significant increase in skin moisture as well as a decrease in wrinkle depth ( source ). Marinecollagen can also help to heal wounds and improve skin barrier function ( source ).
- Promotes Healthy Hair Growth: Just like our skin, our hair becomes thinner and less lustrous as we age. Marinecollagen can help to promote healthy hair growth by stimulating cells in the scalp and providing the building blocks for keratin (a protein that makes up our hair). In one study, participants who took a marinecollagen supplement for six months experienced an increase in hair thickness ( source ).
- Reduces Inflammation: Inflammation is a natural response by our immune system to protect us from infection or injury. However, when inflammation becomes chronic (long-lasting), it can lead to a host of health problems such as heart disease, arthritis, and gastrointestinal issues. Marinecollagen has powerful anti-inflammatory effects thanks to its high levels of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) such as chondroitin sulfate and hyaluronic acid ( source ). These GAGs can help to reduce inflammation throughout the body by blocking inflammatory molecules from binding to cells ( source ).
- Aids Digestion: digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease ,and ulcerative colitis are becoming increasingly common nowadays. The good news is that marinecollagen can help! Marinecollagen supplements have been shown to improve symptoms of IBS , Crohn’s disease ,and ulcerative colitis by reducing inflammation and promoting gut healing ( source , source , source ).
- Supports Joint Health: Joint pain is a common problem as we age; however, it can also be caused by conditions such as arthritis or traumatic injuries .marinecollagen can help to relieve joint pain by reducing inflammation and providing the building blocks for cartilage repair ( source , source ).
There you have it—a comprehensive guide to everything you need to know about marine collagen! We hope this article has inspired you to give this amazing superfood a try. Not only does it have numerous health benefits , but it’s also easily added to your diet . Simply add it to your favorite smoothie or beverage for a quick and easy way to get your daily dose!